Re: Hotkey events

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 09:45 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Currently, thinkpad-acpi defaults to most hot keys disabled, AND the hot key
> system disabled.  This is the firmware default, for obvious reasons
> (DOS/unknown O.S. support using the BIOS).  This is also true for all
> versions of ibm-acpi.  It can, of course, be overriden by module parameters.
>
> This means distros and HAL will go around poking the hotkey_ attributes
> anyway, which will cause all sort of trouble overriding the local system
> admin wishes anyway.

Totally.

> 	1. Activate hot key handling and input device handling, with most
> 	   keys already mapped by default in thinkpad-acpi.

Mapped to KEY_UNKNOWN?

> 	   THIS DOES NOT, and WILL NOT enable brightness up/down, volume
> 	   up/down, mute, and thinklight mappings.  A new enough HAL that
> 	   can handle them in passive mode will have to do it by itself (see
> 	   below).

Okay.

> 	2. Add a kernel compile-time option to default to the current
> 	   behaviour (not activate hot key handling by default, start with
> 	   an empty input device map, which means ACPI events are the
> 	   default when hot keys are enabled).

Kernel compile time is fine, as for fedora we can just enable the
THINKPAD_ACPI_NEW_KEYS (or whatever) in the .config.

> For HAL, that means that:
>
> 	1. HAL *must not* modify the hotkey_enable attribute.  If it is
> 	   zero, either it is talking to old thinkpad-acpi, or the user
> 	   wants it like that.  Don't change it.  A HAL-friendly
> 	   thinkpad-acpi will have hotkey_enable set to 1 by default.

Okay, I think the plan is to just support a new thinkpad_acpi,
backporting where required.

> 	2. IF HAL loads CMOS NVRAM monitors like tpb or thinkpad-keys, it
> 	   should not do so if hotkey_all_mask & 0x00ff0000 is non-zero.

It won't. I really want to put "rm -f /usr/sbin/tpd" in the hal startup
script, but that's never going to get upstream. :-)

> 	3. HAL will have to program the passive hot keys itself (keys that
> 	   are only to be used for OSD reporting: volume up/down, mute,
> 	   brightness up/down, thinklight).  And I would leave the
> 	   thinklight out of it, IMHO it is goofy to pop up an OSD saying
> 	   "thinklight ON/OFF" when the user can *clearly* see when it is
> 	   turned on/off to begin with...

Good plan.

> 	   These keys will be set to KEY_RESERVED in the keyboard map when
> 	   thinkpad-acpi loads. All others will be set to either KEY_UNKNOWN
> 	   or to a real key.
>
> What do you think?

I think that's a really good idea. Thanks!

Richard.