Re: Hotkey events

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 16:41 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Now that KEY_UNKNOWN as the top choice is gone, and that HAL seems to want
> to map keys by default, the solution I used to not generate hotkey input
> events and ACPI events in duplicate is busted.

Why busted? Legacy systems with acpid running and processing updates get
the notification events from ACPI, and newer systems using HAL map the
keys, and then INPUT events are used. We can disable the keymap stuff in
hal trivially if an admin wants to. Seems ideal to me.

> I can only think of a few ways to go about it:
>
> 1: always generate both events (may cause problems for sleep to disk and
> sleep to ram, at the very least)

Both events are a pain for HAL to handle, although possible.

> 2: allow the user to select which one using an extra mask in sysfs, default
> is ACPI

Nope, because then we have to hack something in rc.local to set the key
on every boot. For one, if this were the case, every fedora install
would have this enabled by default.

> 3: allow the user to select which one using a module parameter, default is
> ACPI

This is preferable, with the default changed to INPUT, see below.

> And the default of 2 and 3 will be bad for input/HAL, because it either will
> require a module parameter or a write to sysfs to enable input hotkeys,
> otherwise it would break the ACPI event ABI (because ACPI events would not
> be generated anymore).

There is no ABI for acpi hkey events, it's just the bodge that we've
been using for years because the ACPI maintainers did not want to depend
on INPUT in acpi core. Now the ACPI guys are in agreement that button
events should be handled in the abstract INPUT layer, and have even
converted internal modules to use input (e.g. button.c).

Most of the acpi guys for the main distros agree that using hkeys acpi
events is broken, and there is no less than 12 (that I know about) hacky
daemons to capture the vendor specific scancodes and either run commands
as root, or inject them back into the kernel using uinput. This is not
something that I want to continue.

I understand you want to preserve compatibility, but that can be done
with either the KEY_UNKNOWN checks you are currently doing in the
input-hotkey branch, or with a use_acpi_events=1 module parameter.

So please, make the default input, as all the other drivers we are
working on (asus, sony, toshiba) will be slowly converted to use input
by default, and it would be a crying shame for thinkpad_acpi to be the
only "legacy" driver that needed odd options in rc.local just to get the
keys working.

Richard.