Re: Adding rfkill support to thinkpad_acpi

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > I might even find out that we are better off not using rfkill in
> > thinkpad-acpi itself, and letting the bluetooth and wwan drivers process it.
> > We shall see.
>
> Less than ideal from a userspace POV, as I really just wanted to write
> one bit of glue code in HAL to get all the rfkill stuff to work.

It would still work from userspace POV, but only if the bluetooth and
whatever drives the WWAN card also implement rfkill.

thinkpad-acpi would be used to actually disable/enable the hardware if
desired (it defaults to whatever the user told the BIOS to do, anyway)...

> >   The thinkpad ACPI interface does a lot more than just
> > radio-kill, it actually kills power to the *devices* themselves, AFAIK
> > (removes them from the USB bus, causing hotunplug events).  Anyone with a
> > bluetooth and WWAN device, please speak up.
>
> Yes, so understand. The latter is very important from a powersave point
> of view, and I can understand how disconnecting from the bus would nuke
> the device, and not allow you to turn on the device with the rfkill
> interface. I did not think of this.
>
> > So far, what I got is that rfkill is all about handling "please disable
> > radios" system-wide events, and not about providing drivers with a standard
> > sysfs interface to enable/disable radio functionality.  At least for now.
>
> Yes, agreed. For the moment I can bodge it, and just use an addon for
> HAL, but I'm guessing other hardware has this issue, and we should
> probably fix this the right way.

Yes.  You will get a sysfs interface to enable/disable bluetooth and WWAN
(when it works anyway, it appears thinkpad-acpi WWAN handling is busted on
some X60) anyway.  But it might not be rfkill.  We shall see.

  Henrique Holschuh