Re: patch to add readonly support for T60 wireless killswitch

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:04:52 -0200
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. Which ThinkPads (even older ones) have a hardware kill switch, and
> where it is.  Add this information to the models in thinkwiki while
> at it...

I only have a T60 and dont have a clue which models have that HW
killswitch. I posted the patch because i wanted others to test it on
other models.

> 2. Where is the software-controlled hardware-kill switch on some
> ThinkPads (those that, like the T43, allow you to set "radio off" on
> the BIOS -- that's actually a hardware kill switch wired to the
> ipwXXXX cards, try it!). It needs to be located as well.

I have tried BIOS settings. My BIOS supports 3 States "enabled",
"radio off" and "hidden". Changing these settings also changes 0x03,
0x24, 0x31, 0x3a and 0x84. But 0x48 still changes according to my
patch. So it can at least be used to read the physical state of the
switch, no matter what is set in the BIOS.

I think that this physical state is important on models with a HW
switch. When i enable the killswitch bluetooth is deactivated but
ibm_acpi bluetooth/state might still show enabled.
If one wants to know "is bluetooth ready for use?" the HW switch and
bluetooth state have to be considered. I found that 0x48 & 8 is true
when bluetooth is enabled and killswitch is disabled. (again only T60)

> 3. Triple check the DSDTs to make sure the kill switch is not
> exported in higher level.

Ok I will have a look at acpi4linux.

Henning