Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: [systemd-devel] Creating executable device nodes in /dev?

>>> Jarkko Sakkinen <jarkko@xxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 15.12.2020 um 05:19 in
Nachricht
<20201215041903.GA21875@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Nachricht
>> <27796c04-249e-6cf0-c3e1-0fd657a82f9c@xxxxxxxxx>:

>> is
>> > used. And SELinux can protect /dev just fine without noexec.

>> SELinux
>> services.

>> rw,exec
>> approach
>> not

>> > I think devices are a bad match for SGX because devices haven't been
>> > executable and SGX is actually an operation for memory. So something
>> > like memfd_create(, MFD_SGX) or mmap(,, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC|PROT_SGX)
>> > would be much more natural. Even better would be something that
>> > conceptully also works for AMD version (either with the same flags or
>> > MFD_SGX / MFD_whatever_the_AMD_version_is).
>>
>> +1
>
> SGX reserved memory from kernel's point of view is IO memory.
>
> Mapping SGX to memfd would not be a great idea, as it does not map
> into concept of anonymous file backed by regular memory.
>
> A device file is very natural match actually. We have ioctl API for
> uploading enclave pages during the build procedure to the enclave and
> custom #PF handler. Conceptually it's a lot like video memory or such
> special device specific memory area.
>
> There's no AMD equivalent of this technology.

Hi!

Back to "noexec": AFAIR the execute bit does not make sense for device files,
and the purpose probably was to avoid execution of non-device files (e.g.
regular executables) from inside /dev (where they should not be). So in this
view "noexec" makes sense.
There were similar arguments for not allowing device files in user
directories.

Regards,
Ulrich