Re: Creating executable device nodes in /dev?

> On Dec 8, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Topi Miettinen <toiwoton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 8.12.2020 20.07, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

>>> I'd propose to not enable exec globally, but if a service needs SGX, it
>>> could use something like MountOptions=/dev:exec only in those cases
>>> where it's needed. That way it's possible to disallow writable and
>>> executable file systems for most services (which typically don't need
>>> /tmp or /dev/shm either). Of course the opposite
>>> (MountOptions=/dev:noexec) would be also possible, but I'd expect that
>>> this would be needed to be used more often.
>>>
>> I imagine the opposite would be more sensible.  It seems odd to me
>> that we would want any SGX-using service to require both special mount
>> options and regular ACL permissions.
>
> How common are thes SGX-using services? Will every service start using it without any special measures taken on it's behalf, or perhaps only a special SGX control tool needs access? What about unprivileged user applications, do they ever want to access SGX? Could something like Widevine deep in a browser need to talk to SGX in a DRM scheme?

I honestly don’t know. Widevine is probably some unholy mess of SGX and ME crud. But regular user programs may well end up using SGX for little non-evil enclaves, e.g. storing their keys securely.  It would be nice if unprivileged enclaves just work as long as the use has appropriate permissions on the device nodes.

SGX adoption has been severely hampered by the massive series of recent vulnerabilities and by Intel’s silly licensing scheme. The latter won’t be supported upstream.

>> As  a further argument, I just did this on a Fedora system:
>> $ find /dev -perm /ugo+x -a \! -type d -a \! -type l
>> No results.  So making /dev noexec doesn't seem to have any benefit.
>
> It's no surprise that there aren't any executables in /dev since removing MAKEDEV ages ago. That's not the issue, which is that /dev is a writable directory (for UID=0 but no capabilities are needed) and thus a potential location for constructing unapproved executables if it is also mounted exec (W^X).

UID 0 can just change mount options, though, unless SELinux or similar is used. And SELinux can protect /dev just fine without noexec.