Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: [systemd-devel] Creating executable device nodes in /dev?

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 08:58:52AM +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> <20201209001521.GA64007@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> > What's the data that supports having noexec /dev anyway? With root
> > access I can then just use something else like /dev/shm mount.
> >
> > Has there been out in the wild real world cases that noexec mount
> > of would have prevented?
> >
> > For me this sounds a lot just something that "feels more secure"
> > without any measurable benefit. Can you prove me wrong?
>
> I think the better question is: Why not allow it? I.e.: Why do you want to forbid it?
>
> Event though I wouldn't like it myself, I could even think of noexec /tmp.

On an instance of an OS you should limit whatever is appropriate for
your use case. The debate is about sane defaults.

My argument is essentially that noexec /dev is not a sane default.
For anyone to who this makes sense, does such thing anyway. For
others, noexec /dev is only artificially useful.

> Regards,
> Ulrich

/Jarkko