Re: udevadm monitor and atapi dvdrw

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Franco Martelli <martellif67@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm using Debian Sqeeze 6.0, kernel 2.6.32, udev version 164.
> With kernel provided from debian my dvdrw is under scsi subsystem and
> udevadm monitor recognize optical disk change with a lot of info output
> suitable to write rules.
> I've recompilated the kernel and things has changed, now my dvdrw is under
> ide/atapi subsystem and the device name is hdc now.
> I'd like to write a rule that remove udf and crc_itu_t modules as soon as
> optical disk is left off from dvdrw drive. Example:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="hdc", ACTION=="change", RUN+="/sbin/rmmod udf
> crc_itu_t"
>
> I look at http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html but doesn't help
> for ide devices ACTION=="change".
> Could anybody help me to write such a rule?

Modern userspace and kernel facilities like media change polling do
not support all the old and deprecated IDE drivers. The IDE drivers
are just not capable to do what you are looking for. Udev does not
support IDE drivers at all, only libata.

You might just want to disable the IDE drivers in the kernel config
and use the libata ones. Ideally the kernel would just delete the IDE
stuff.

Kay