Re: Communicating tablet mode status to userspace

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that there's a more generic approach to this, which would also
> work with the tablet Thinkpads.
>
> I would export the current "tablet mode" status through sysfs (which is
> great if your driver keeps state), and send a uevent when the mode
> changes (in addition to sending out that input event).

When we tried to add such an attibute in the past, Dmitry rejected it:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.platform.x86.devel/1089

Apart from that, what your suggesting doesn't seem very different from
the earlier outcome here. We seem to have reached a generic solution,
where udev would identify input devices that have SW_TABLET_MODE and
make them accessible to the current seat. Then gnome-settings-daemon
can monitor them for evdev events (similar to the udev event
monitoring that would be necessary in your proposal).

Daniel