Re: Communicating tablet mode status to userspace

Hey Daniel,

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 10:04 -0600, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Kay Sievers <kay@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The usual model is not uid/gid, it's ACLs dynamically applied for
> > logged-in users with active sessions:
> >   http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-logind.service.html
> >   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/login/70-uaccess.rules
>
> Thanks, those were the pointers I needed.
> I'll work with this approach.

I think that there's a more generic approach to this, which would also
work with the tablet Thinkpads.

I would export the current "tablet mode" status through sysfs (which is
great if your driver keeps state), and send a uevent when the mode
changes (in addition to sending out that input event).

You'd probably need to tag your device in the udev database so that it
can be found and acted upon by user-space (probably a
gnome-settings-daemon plugin in your case).

Cheers