Re: modprobe.d question.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM, F. Heitkamp <heitkamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a module that I want to have installed during the boot process
> (fbcon) but I can't figure out what the standard practice would be to do it.
>
> I am still using SYSV init as well.

Poor choice. :)

> The brute force approach would be to just write a shell script that executes
> during the boot process.

Right, that's the generic SYSV style, and should work.

> From what I understand reading docs what adding install fbcon modprobe -v
> fbcon  to  a conf file in modprobe.d  (say I called it fbcon.conf ) would do
> is if the hot-plugging needed fbcon it would use fbcon.conf instead.

No, that makes no sense. modprobe config is only read if modprobe is
called, but nothing will call it. And 'install' instructions are a
very broken concept, and should not be used. Besides the fact that the
above would not work anyway, because it would never be triggered.

> I am most familiar with debian and there is a file called /etc/modules that
> lists modules to be installed during boot, but I think the magic of modprobe
> is not used so the dependencies would not get included.

That should work fine on Debian, just add it there.

> I am not using a initial ram disk.

That does not matter.

> This is on a "linux from scratch" like system, but not LFS.

It needs to support /etc/modules, which is a Debian-specific file.

Kay