Re: questions about udev...beginner

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 19:09, Tom Gundersen <teg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM, linuxcbon <linuxcbon@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I guess Kay could answer this with more authority. But I'm
>>> pretty
>>> certain --type=add is correct.
>>
>> You mean --action=add
>
> Yes, sorry.
>
>>> Also, when that section of the README was written,
>>> --type=add was the
>>> default, but that later changed to --type=change, so it
>>> looks like it
>>> is just out of date.
>>
>> udevadm trigger --help says : default for action is "change"
>
> Exactly. It used to be "add".
>
>> So you mean ?
>> udevadm trigger --type=devices --action=add
>> udevadm trigger --type=subsystems --action=add

Classic system 'coldplug' replays the missing events which happened
before userspace was ready to receive them. We usually use 'add' here
because that is what the original event, which we missed, was.

No other other use case, should ever use 'add', only 'change' is
appropriate when the system is already running.

The systemd service files in the udev source tree always reflect the
current way of doing coldplug.

Kay