Re: How to coordinate a DVD burn program with udev ?

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> Could you possibly use one of the /dev/disk/by-* links instead? As far
>> as I understand, the rule generator is being deprecated.
>
> Aside from the general problem, i can of course advise my users to use
> whatever is reliably existent and can be unambigously documented.
> The files in /dev/disk/by-id seem not to represent any of the two DVD drives.

Oh, that's odd. I have "by-id/ata-HL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GSA-H66N_K6578SE0620
-> ../../sr0" on my system. Don't know why that would not exist.

> In /dev/disk/by-path i see them as
>  /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-2:0:0:0
>  /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.1-scsi-0:0:0:0
> But i understand that these addresses are prone to change at boot time, too.

The rules you posted in your first mail create the symlinks based on
these paths, so they should be exactly as reliable as your symlinks.

> And they would uglify any program message that contains a drive address.

Even if you use these things internally, you could use something else
for display. Have a look at "% udevadm info --query=all -n
/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-2:0:0:0" to see the available
information you could get from udev.

> Alternatively one can find the desired /dev/sr address by running
>  xorriso -devices
> I could even implement in libburn a functionality similar to udev
> which identifies drives by unique persistent properties.
>
> But that would not prevent other problems which can arise from
> udev trying to inspect the busy CD drive.

I guess this is a bug in the rule generators, that should be fixed
there. I think several distro's have stopped shipping these things
though, so there might not be much interest in working on them. That
said, to the best of my knowledge Debian are still supporting them, so
there is still hope :-)

> Is there a better place than this mailing list where i could ask for advise ?

You could try on irc in #udev, or you could file a bug report with
your distro (there is no udev bugtracker).

-t