Re: How to coordinate a DVD burn program with udev ?

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> i am developer of libburn and CD/DVD/BD burn program xorriso.
> It seems urgent that i coordinate the activities of libburn with the
> activities of udev.
>
> What is the recommended way for a library resp. a console program
> to tell udev, that the drive and the media will undergo arbitrary
> changes and should not be accessed during that time ?
>
> The particular problem case:
>
> On an installation of Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.2 amd64, /dev/dvdrw vanishes
> if libburn loads the tray. It comes back only if some other program run
> uses the /dev/sr device file to which the link should point.
>
> The effect is not always reproducible. Typically it happens with DVD+RW
> media, not with CD-RW or empty tray. It seems related to the habit
> of xorriso to inspect the media for existing ISO 9660 filesystems.
> If the system is in the mood for it, then it already happens with
>  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0
> Less frequently i can reproduce it with wodim
>  wodim dev=/dev/sr0 -toc
> Quite reliably it happens with a xorriso burn run on DVD+RW (e.g. /usr/bin
> to DVD+RW):
>  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -blank as_needed -add /usr/bin --
>

> There are two drives attached to the system:
>  a SATA DVD burner  SH-S223B
>  a PATA DVD-ROM     SH-D162C
> Mostly the burner is sr0, but on some days it is sr1. So udev's links
> are needed to configure persistent addresses in backup programs.

Could you possibly use one of the /dev/disk/by-* links instead? As far
as I understand, the rule generator is being deprecated.

Sorry to not answer your main question, I'm not sure exactly what is
happening... Maybe someone else can shed some light on it?

Cheers,

Tom