Re: keymap rule selection for non-DMI platforms

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 22:39, Daniel Drake <dsd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sure, if there is something we all can use, we will switch over to it.
>> Until that happens, hacks have to be maintained by the people relying
>> on them, not by udev upstream.
>
> You can use it. Just like many platforms (of varying architectures)
> already do in other contexts, all using unmodified Linus kernels.
>
> Device tree is a well-documented cross-platform way of providing
> hardware identification information (and in great detail) to the
> kernel. I think it is the system you are asking for.

We are not discussing the usefulness or completeness of any 'device
tree' here. That's an unrelated issue.

It's about a dead simple 'machine identification' that can be
retrieved without jumping through hoops.

x86 also does not need to look in the ACPI tree for matching up the
keymap, it has a simple interface to export hardware parameters in a
sane format. There is no reason other platforms can't do the same.

> Am I right in
> saying that its location in /proc is the main downfall that you are
> criticising it for? (i.e. would your viewpoint change if it appeared
> in /sys tomorrow?)

Sure, but probably not a single file, it can not move to /sys.

Kay