Re: how stop udev renamed network interface eth0 to eth1

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 21:24, Carl Karsten <carl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to build a VM appliance,  someone converted it to a
> different vm engine (vmware / qemu) and now the networking is broke
> because eth0 doesn't exist due to the new VM having a different mac.
> I could add "set your mac to 123" but that's annoying.
>
> I am guessing I can remove the reference to my mac, but I would rather
> stop the behaviour so that the image can be booted in different
> environments without eth0 being renamed.
>
> I also want to do something similar with bootable USB drives, so I am
> going to run into the same problem.

You can 'mask' 75-persistent-net-generator.rules by placing an empty
file or a link to /dev/null in
/etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules. This will disable
the file with the same name in /lib/udev, or on older udev versions,
just delete the rules file
/lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules.

It is planned, that the logic that automatically create these
interface names will be removed from udev in the future. It turns out
to create more problems than it solves. We will require manual
configuration if specific network interface names are required.

Kay