how stop udev renamed network interface eth0 to eth1

I am trying to build a VM appliance,  someone converted it to a
different vm engine (vmware / qemu) and now the networking is broke
because eth0 doesn't exist due to the new VM having a different mac.
I could add "set your mac to 123" but that's annoying.

I am guessing I can remove the reference to my mac, but I would rather
stop the behaviour so that the image can be booted in different
environments without eth0 being renamed.

I also want to do something similar with bootable USB drives, so I am
going to run into the same problem.

--
Carl K