Re: Persistent net/cd rules

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 16:48, Tom Gundersen <teg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm working on the initscripts for Archlinux and I have a question.
>
> We used to copy /dev/.udev/tmp-rules--70-persistent-net.rules to
> /etc/udev/rules.d/ when the latter was remounted rw. However, with the
> move to /run/, we needed to update this, and I figured there should be
> a better way to do it. I notice that systemd does not deal with this
> at all (AFAICT).

No, we skipped all that.

> My question is therefore: what is the proper mechanism to use to make
> sure that net/cd device naming is preserved after reboot? Is there a
> way to make udev merge the rule files in /run with the rule files in
> /etc itself?

The current plan is to get rid of all that. We don't want to rename
devices in the kernel namespace anymore. There are races with name
swaps which are impossible to fix. If people want persistent names,
they will need to configure the devices to have such names, and these
names will _not_ be the kernel names.

When we'll get there and can provide a tool to or the mechanics for a
possible tool to do that, all the rule_generator stuff will go away,
hence we did not integrate any of the rule-copy--over-to-the-rw-rootfs
in systemd, and we don't plan to.

Same for the cdrom rules, if people need static names here, they will
need to configure them. Allocating a new number in this rules file in
/etc for every USB-G3-modem with a fake-cdrom is really nothing we
want to continue too. So that will go away in the longer run too, and
require explicit configuration with some
to-be-find-out-how-it-will-look-like system management tool
integration.

Kay