Re: Udev remove --type failed logic

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 03:05, Seblu <seblu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I see in TODO from last git commit, that --type failed logic will be
> removed from udev.
>
> I trying to patch an issue in my archlinux with bluetoothd and udev
> rules wich start it.
> One idea was to extend add RUN{fail_event_on_error} in place of RUN,
> to recall it after dbus was started.
>
> But it's seems you will remove this feature from udev.
>
> Why remove it?
> What is your recommendation about those cases?

Use a modern init system that can track devices and start stuff
properly on demand. Udev was never the right tool for starting
services, or mounting disks, it should just classify devices and send
events to something that is able to do proper service management.

In case you are stuck with an old init, just trigger the bluetooth
events again from an init script, instead of letting udev take care of
tracking "failed events". Or create your own marker somewhere, that
indicates something needs to be tried again.

The entire concept of "failing events" and globally just re-trigger
them does not make much sense anymore for udev. The  code that does
that is still there and will not go away soon, but it should not be
used anymore when possible.

Thanks,
Kay