Re: udev runtime data will move from /dev/.udev/ to /dev/.run/udev/

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 18:38, Marco d'Itri <md@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 15, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The maintainers of the commonly used early-boot tools agreed to use a
>> /dev/.run/<package>/ dir instead, which will be provided by initramfs
>> and systemd. After the basic bootup, the /dev/.run/ tmpfs mountpoint
>> will be available at /var/run/. The /dev/.run/ directory is at that
>> point just an "early-boot alias" for /var/run/, and all early-boot
>> tools will have their data in /var/run/, just like any other service.
> This looks complex and requiring coordination among multiple packages.

> Where is the documentation of everything which needs to be done by the
> surrounding boot scripts?

I can't know, or document anything. The init scripts I maintain do not
know anything about /dev/.udev/.

> Will anything break if I still create an empty /dev/.udev/ for the
> benefit of everything which checks for it to know if udev is running?

I wouldn't do that. But it should work, if you don't create the db/
dir there, that would trigger the built-in converter. And please don't
make it a symlink to /dev/.run/, I don't know how that behaves.
Anyway, if you really still need that check, you should probably add a
command to 'udevadm info ...' using the libudev check, instead of
poking directories.

>> If you support LVM, please make sure to conflict udev if neccessary
>> with older initramfs implementations, so that no new udev gets into an
>> old initramfs image, udev puts the data in /dev/.run/ which isn't its
>> own mountpoint, and the real root would overmount the udev directory.
> I am not sure that I understand this sentence.

LVM needs the udev database from initramfs to be preserved.
Non-adapted initramfs images with the new udev might not create the
/dev/.run/ mountpoint, and any new init system will just overmount the
entire /dev/.run/ from initramfs, and the udev database is gone and
LVM will not find the udev database ....

Kay