Re: udev runtime data will move from /dev/.udev/ to /dev/.run/udev/

On Mar 15, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The maintainers of the commonly used early-boot tools agreed to use a
> /dev/.run/<package>/ dir instead, which will be provided by initramfs
> and systemd. After the basic bootup, the /dev/.run/ tmpfs mountpoint
> will be available at /var/run/. The /dev/.run/ directory is at that
> point just an "early-boot alias" for /var/run/, and all early-boot
> tools will have their data in /var/run/, just like any other service.
This looks complex and requiring coordination among multiple packages.
Where is the documentation of everything which needs to be done by the
surrounding boot scripts?
Will anything break if I still create an empty /dev/.udev/ for the
benefit of everything which checks for it to know if udev is running?

> If you support LVM, please make sure to conflict udev if neccessary
> with older initramfs implementations, so that no new udev gets into an
> old initramfs image, udev puts the data in /dev/.run/ which isn't its
> own mountpoint, and the real root would overmount the udev directory.
I am not sure that I understand this sentence.

--
ciao,
Marco