Re: how to suppress write_net_rules (prevent alteration of my net rules)

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM, John Lumby <johnlumby@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Rules in /etc over-rule rules in /lib with the same name.
>>
>> echo "# disable net-generator rules in /lib/udev" > \
>>   /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
>>
> That looks perfect  -  except  ...    I already have a  /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
> and at the top it says:
> # do not edit this file, it will be overwritten on update
>
> Is that true?     If so  -  although I can see this would work,   I'm no better off than editing the /lib/udev/write_net_rules am I?

Either you have really old udev version or your distribution installs
standard rules under /etc instead of under /lib. In both cases you
probably need to ask your distro about it.

> Andrey Borzenkov  wrote:
>>
>> /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules should not call
>> write_net_rules if NAME is already set, so
>>
>> KERNEL=="eth0", NAME="eth0"
>>

> I think I see how this would prevent the renaming but how can I achieve the renaming I *do* want?
> It seems to me that adding KERNEL=="eth0", NAME="eth0" would prevent udev from doing anything when
> KERNEL!="eth0",  wouldn't it?

No, it won't.

>  I didn't try it but that's my reading of the man page  -
> there is no syntax for parenthesising conditions e.g.
>
> ( KERNEL=="eth0", NAME="eth0" ) || (  KERNEL!="eth0", NAME="eth1" )
> is there?

Just continue to use the same rules for KERNEL != "eth0" as you use now.

> I have one more question  -   is there any master user-specified profile or config file associated with udev?
> Something which orchestrates all the other parts?

Current udev reads /etc/udev/rules.d, /lib/udev/rules.d and one more
directory under /dev for rules generated when root was still
read-only. This is hardcoded.