Re: How do I get udev to replay coldplug events for devices that did not load?

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:57, David Goodenough
<david.goodenough@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there any way to get udev to replay coldplug events for device that it
> could not run when it first tried to?
>
> My situation is that I have my kernel modules not in the rootfs (for a
> good reason, not just for the sake of it) and they have not been mounted
> when udev fires off its coldplug events. ÂDoes udev notice failed device
> creation events and keep them anywhere that can be reused?
>
> I could simply fix all these modules into the kernel, but some wireless
> drivers (it happens to be these I am having problems with) seem to
> work better when loaded as modules (or is that just an old memory that
> is no longer true).

Udev will not anything like this on its own. And I don't know any
distro which allows/supports /lib/* to be on a non-root filesystem.

You can add some custom code though that triggers all events again
after all filesystems are mounted. That should work in usual setups.

Kay