How do I get udev to replay coldplug events for devices that did not load?

Is there any way to get udev to replay coldplug events for device that it
could not run when it first tried to?

My situation is that I have my kernel modules not in the rootfs (for a
good reason, not just for the sake of it) and they have not been mounted
when udev fires off its coldplug events.  Does udev notice failed device
creation events and keep them anywhere that can be reused?

I could simply fix all these modules into the kernel, but some wireless
drivers (it happens to be these I am having problems with) seem to
work better when loaded as modules (or is that just an old memory that
is no longer true).

David