RE: FW: udev documentation

> >What are you looking to have udev do?  What is the problem you are having?
>
> Using static MAC's within a system creates config conflicts when
> adapters are exchanged that have different PCI-ID and drivers. Often
> the reconfigured machine will not boot (because of  modprobe entries )
> or network (ifcfg-ethX ) bring up fails because of stale configuration
> data left behind by the s-c-n tools.

Then don't do that :)

 -> It is the infrastructure ... and it's not unique among Enterprise systems.

Wait, what is "s-c-n" tools?

  -> system-config-network, aka .. NEAT.

> I am seeking to understand how make a more dynamic ETHERNET
> configuration manager (and underlying components) that bonds PCI-IDs
> and drivers to a ETHERNET device better than they currently do.

The in-kernel driver does this type of "bonding".  You mean you want to change your ethernet device naming to be more flexible, right?

> When I remove/replace an adapter with a different one I want to invoke
> udev to clean up stale ethX and modprobe references.

And when you remove an ethernet device, the kernel removes the ethX device, and any userspace mappings you had you need to then clean up as well on your own.

    -> That is the issue.  There appears to be no notification .

>> For instance .. how does /etc/udev/rules.d/60-net.rules get invoked ?

When a ethX device is reported as created by the kernel.

-> On RH (5.5), 60-net.rules never get invoked on boot for a ethernet adapter.