Re: FW: udev documentation

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 17:53, Donnelly, John (ISS (SNI), Houston)
<john.donnelly@xxxxxx> wrote:

>>> There are 60-net.rules under /etc/udev ... Are ethernet devices a separate category ?
>
>>No.
>
>>What are you looking to have udev do?  What is the problem you are having?
>
> Using static MAC's within a system creates config conflicts when adapters are exchanged
> that have different PCI-ID and drivers. Often the reconfigured machine will not boot
> (because of  modprobe entries ) or network (ifcfg-ethX ) bring up fails because
> of stale configuration data left behind by the s-c-n tools.
>
> I am seeking to understand how make a more dynamic ETHERNET configuration manager (and underlying components) that bonds PCI-IDs and drivers to a ETHERNET device better than they currently do. When I remove/replace an adapter
> with a different one I want to invoke udev to clean up stale ethX and modprobe references.
>
> For instance .. how does /etc/udev/rules.d/60-net.rules get invoked ? My impression now
> is a driver of the "net" class has to post a message to udev to get processed by udevd,
> which rules a script/program.
>
> Is that correct ?

The kernel creates the device (all the stuff that is in
/sys/devices/), udevd receives the message over netlink (like for all
other devices too).

Udevd matches the rules against the received event, and executes the
specified instructions.

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-net.rules is something a specific distro added,
and not part of udev. All that stuff is different on every single
distro.

Kay