Re: FW: udev documentation

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 16:22, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 02:10:35PM +0000, Donnelly, John (ISS (SNI), Houston) wrote:
>> I don't see any interaction by udevd on behave of ethernet adapters during boot
>> after an adapter and driver RPM are added. Generally, the RPM install phase
>> modifies /etc/modprobe.conf .
>
> That's up to rpm scripts, and has nothing to do with udev, right?
>
>> It appears that NEAT (system-config-network) and NetManager create the
>> /etc/system/networking/ifcfg-ethX files.
>
> Ok, but that's a distro thing, right?
>
>> There are 60-net.rules under /etc/udev ... Are ethernet devices a separate category ?
>
> No.
>
> What are you looking to have udev do?  What is the problem you are
> having?

That's distro specific too, and not part of udev.

Udev has a script and a dynamically updated rule for persistent
network interface naming. That's all.

Udev has no idea what a network interface is, or how to manage any
network interface. There is no config from udev to apply, besides the
possible renaming of the interface before userspace is notified about
the newly added device.

All further network specific properties are not managed by udev.

Kay