Re: Questions on udev-acl rules, ACL_MANAGE + bug report

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 06:49, Julien BLACHE <jblache@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> There is no real long-term plan to explain. It's just that stuff is
>> moving all the time. There might be upcoming changes in ConsoleKit
>> which require changes again. I'm not really involved in this, don't
>
> It's a bit puzzling to read that, to be honest. "We're going to break
> things, deal with it" is becoming a bit old.

I think it's pretty clear: Don't use udev's low-level stuff managing
ACLs directly in packages. There is nothing else that breaks.

This is all very new stuff, and new stuff changes until the pain to
change is larger than the gain of the change. That point is surely not
reached today.

It's not different from any other new stuff that has a certain grade
of complexity -- just don't use it if you can't cope with possible
changes -- because they will very likely happen.

>> know the details, but I know people talking about new stuff.
>
> Could the above "people" please shed some light on this?

You can ask them. It's the people who work on the multi-seat stuff.
But I doubt they can outline a plan more detailed than: don't use the
udev low-level stuff directly in packages. :)

Thanks,
Kay