Questions on udev-acl rules, ACL_MANAGE + bug report

Hi,

[Please Cc: me on replies, I'm not subscribed]

I am wondering how one is supposed to integrate/interact with udev-acl
outside of its dedicated rules file, as using ACL_MANAGE outside this
file is strictly forbidden.

Setting dedicated variables via other rules to have them checked and
acted upon by the dedicated udev-acl rules seems suboptimal in more than
one way :/

So, what's the long-term plan on this? I've discussed this with Marco
d'Itri, our udev maintainer, and a couple other Debian developers and we
all wonder how this is supposed to work on the long term. Can someone
shed light on this for us, please?

[SANE upstream hat on]
Second point in this mail, the rules used for SCSI scanners by udev-acl
are too broad as they are today; they may match SCSI devices that aren't
scanners (like tape libraries and other SCSI equipment reporting a
control interface with a SCSI type of "Processor", for instance - this
has been seen before).

Instead of duplicating the rules from libsane, I propose to also set
libsane_matched for SCSI scanners starting with the next SANE release
(whenever that happens, and I'd encourage distributors to patch the SANE
rules right now already).

Would that be OK with you?

Thanks,

JB.