Re: blacklist of hard drives that misreport serial numbers

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Ethan Baldridge
<baldridge.ethan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does such a list exist?
>
> I've got a system that depends on the symlink in /dev/disk/by-id to
> identify which of the external drives at our datacenter contains the
> data that needs to be removed and shipped out after we export to the
> drive.
>
> This worked fabulously during in-house testing, but now that the system
> is in production we find that some Toshiba drives (at least) don't
> report a serial number to the OS that looks anything like what is
> printed on the outside of the drive itself. That complicates things.
>
> Is this dastardly behavior limited to Toshiba, or merely the specific
> model in question, or is it a known widespread problem for drives from
> any vendor (and is it at least guaranteed that certain models are safe)?

For SCSI disks (e.g. data obtained via scsi_id), ID_SERIAL isn't
really the page 0x80 serial number that is typically printed on the
label of the hard disk. This commit has some more information

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commitdiff;h=4e9fdfccbdd16f0cfdb5c8fa8484a8ba0f2e69d3

and exports the serial number and WWN in ID_WWN and ID_SCSI_SERIAL.

FWIW, I don't think we use ID_SCSI_SERIAL in any /dev/disk symlinks
but we probably could. Any chance you could try seeing if
ID_SCSI_SERIAL works for you? It's available since udev version 148 or
later.

Also, we do use ID_WWN for /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x* symlinks (and this
is set for both SCSI (including e.g. SAS) through scsi_id and ATA
through ata_id) - maybe you can use the by-id/wwn-* symlinks instead?

    David