blacklist of hard drives that misreport serial numbers

Does such a list exist?

I've got a system that depends on the symlink in /dev/disk/by-id to
identify which of the external drives at our datacenter contains the
data that needs to be removed and shipped out after we export to the
drive.

This worked fabulously during in-house testing, but now that the system
is in production we find that some Toshiba drives (at least) don't
report a serial number to the OS that looks anything like what is
printed on the outside of the drive itself. That complicates things.

Is this dastardly behavior limited to Toshiba, or merely the specific
model in question, or is it a known widespread problem for drives from
any vendor (and is it at least guaranteed that certain models are safe)?

Thanks,
Ethan Baldridge