Re: Make an un-device?

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 12:43 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Usually people want to know how to make udev recognize
> devices. I have a device that is recognized just fine, but
> I'd really like to declare it an un-device. I don't
> want any /dev/ files created for it, I don't want the
> driver loaded unless something else needs it. I want
> it to disappear from creation completely.
>
> Can custom udev rules do this?

Not specifically - ignore_device used to do something like this but we
removed that directive from udev... and even if we still had the
ignore_device directive, suppressing events at the udev level is wrong..
and that's why we removed ignore_device.

> Specifically, the device is the incredibly annoying fake CD
> drive that appears along side my usb hard disk
> when I plug it in.

One way to make such annoying drives disappear in GNOME and some other
desktop environments is to set the UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE (or if you
are on an older distro than F13 vintage, it's called
DKD_PRESENTATION_HIDE) udev property like e.g. this

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/udisks/tree/data/80-udisks.rules#n188

Another way to solve this is adding an entry to something like one of
the unusual_* files under drivers/usb/storage in the kernel... but that
includes recompiling the kernel.

HTH,
David