Re: Device naming.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:37:13AM -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
> I did an experiment the other day which involved plugging a USB thumb
> drive into the server. To my horror, the operating system assigned it
> /dev/sda. The Penguins had gone and *intentionally* designed a namespace
> collision between all possible storage solutions that might be attached
> to the computer!!!

You must have never done this in the past.  USB flash disks have been
named /dev/sda since the 2.2 kernel days (back in 1999).  They have
never changed naming schemes here, because USB storage devices are
really scsi devices at the protocol level.

As others have pointed out, use /dev/disk/by-label/ and all will be
fine.  That is what it was created for, and is what the distros use it
for.

If you are using a distro that does not allow you to easily manage these
disk names in a way you find acceptable, then I suggest you change your
distro as there are many that handle this quite well.

good luck,

greg k-h