Re: Failed to Create Symlinks ...

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 00:35, Chris Dellin <cdellin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 14:04, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> You should not swap kernel node names with symlink names. The primary
>> name in /dev should always match the name in /sys. In general, on
>> recent kernels, almost all rules with NAME= should be removed and the
>> kernel-provided names not be overwritten by userspace config, and only
>> symlinks (which do no clash with kernel names) added.
>
> OK; in this case, the path in /sys is
> /sys/devices/virtual/misc/agpgart, while the "kernel name" is
> "agpgart".  So the primary /dev device should just be /dev/agpgart
> (and not /dev/misc/agpgart).

Yes, or the kernel would need to provide that name. But I doubt that
/dev/misc/ makes much sense.

> Does this mean that the documentation examples, such as this:
>   KERNEL=="hdb", NAME="my_spare_disk"
> should be replaced with:
>   KERNEL=="hdb", SYMLINK+="my_spare_disk" ?

Sure, kernel names should not be changed, it's almost always wrong to do that.

> Does this mean that use of NAME should be discouraged outright?  In
> that case, I'll file this as a bug with Gentoo, as these are all
> distribution-default rules.

Yes, NAME= should be a rare exception with a very good reason. Like in
case that the kernel misses the right name, like for older kernels, or
not well-maintained drivers, or in case network interfaces are
renamed.

Thanks,
Kay