Fwd: Failed to Create Symlinks ...

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 14:04, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 23:52, Chris Dellin <cdellin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm having some trouble recently with my installation of udev.  I
>> expect it to create symlinks for a few devices, but no symlinks are
>> created.  For example:
>>
>> udev should create a symlink, as per the rule below:
>> $ grep agpgart /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
>> KERNEL=="agpgart", NAME="misc/%k", SYMLINK+="%k"
>>
>> However, on boot, no symlink exists (although the /dev/misc/agpgart
>> device is properly created).
>>
>> Once booted, the symlink does exist in the udev database:
>> # udevadm info --export-db | grep -A 8 'P: /devices/virtual/misc/agpgart'
>> P: /devices/virtual/misc/agpgart
>> N: misc/agpgart
>> S: agpgart
>> E: UDEV_LOG=3
>> E: DEVPATH=/devices/virtual/misc/agpgart
>> E: MAJOR=10
>> E: MINOR=175
>> E: DEVNAME=/dev/misc/agpgart
>> E: DEVLINKS=/dev/agpgart
>>
>> I don't quite know how to interpret the results from udevtest, but the
>> results are here:
>> http://dellin.net/static/temp/udevtest_output.txt
>>
>> A few other notes:
>>  - The system is running a recent copy of Gentoo Linux.
>>  - This started happening when I upgraded my kernel from 2.6.29.5 to 2.6.31.6.
>>  - The /dev/video0 symlink has the same problem; it should be linked
>> to /dev/v4l/video0, which is created correctly.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> You should not swap kernel node names with symlink names. The primary
> name in /dev should always match the name in /sys. In general, on
> recent kernels, almost all rules with NAME= should be removed and the
> kernel-provided names not be overwritten by userspace config, and only
> symlinks (which do no clash with kernel names) added.
>
> Kay

OK; in this case, the path in /sys is
/sys/devices/virtual/misc/agpgart, while the "kernel name" is
"agpgart".  So the primary /dev device should just be /dev/agpgart
(and not /dev/misc/agpgart).

Does this mean that the documentation examples, such as this:
  KERNEL=="hdb", NAME="my_spare_disk"
should be replaced with:
  KERNEL=="hdb", SYMLINK+="my_spare_disk" ?

Does this mean that use of NAME should be discouraged outright?  In
that case, I'll file this as a bug with Gentoo, as these are all
distribution-default rules.

Thanks again,
- Chris