Re: udev keymaps: support for force_release quirk

Hello Johannes,

Johannes Stezenbach [2009-11-26 18:39 +0100]:
> I guess it would make sense to add support for the forced release
> attribute into extras/keymap/keymap.c

Indeed, that'd need to happen now that it gets pushed out of the
kernel.

> in such a way that the keymap files (e.g. samsung-other) can have an
> optional third column with flags.

This sounds good.

> Since many models share samsung-other, but only
> three had the force_release handled in to the kernel
> I'd also add a flag to keymap.c so that the
> forced_release flag is only applied when the --force-release/-f
> switch is present.

I don't understand this. We need separate rules for the quirked vs.
non-quirked models anyway, so why would we need this -f switch if we
already specify it in the rules? I think I see what you try to do, but
IMHO it would just make matters more confusing, and not really help to
reduce rules either.

> The we can add two lines to 95-keymap.rules,
> one for models which need the quirk and one fo the others.
> On an older kernel which doesn't support the force_release
> sysfs attribute the flag would be silently ignored.
>
> Entries in samsung-other would then look like this:
>
> 0x82 switchvideomode force_release # Fn+F4 CRT/LCD (high keycode: "displaytoggle")
> 0x83 battery force_release,some_other_flag # Fn+F2
> 0x84 prog1 # Fn+F5 backlight on/off

This looks good.

> Should I go forward and try to implement it?

That would be great!

Thanks,

Martin