Re: group is not set properly for usb printer for older kernels

Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
On Donnerstag, 15. Oktober 2009, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
Kay Sievers wrote:
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 05:30, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I set udev's loglevel to "debug" and saw something interesting in my
logs [1] after turning on the printer. Specifically, the following line
appears to be of interest:

 Oct 12 19:38:26 foutboxd udevd-work[7541]: '/lib/udev/usb_id' (stderr)
'error opening USB device 'descriptors' file'

Maybe the 'descriptors' file hasn't been created when the udev rules
fire? I think this would explain why subsequent calls to udevadm
test/trigger apply the correct group to the printer.
Yes, that might be. There have been numerous fixes to recent kernel
versions to address issues like this. You could try to set up rules
with WAIT_FOR_SYSFS="..." to possibly work around that on older kernel
versions.
I tried your suggestion and placing WAIT_FOR_SYSFS="descriptors" before
the IMPORT does produce the desired behavior (awesome!). If it's not
clear, I'm referring to line 69 in 50-udev-default.rules [1].

Any chance of applying this modification to udev.git? :)

So adding this rule anywhere before line 69 will help?
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", WAIT_FOR_SYSFS="descriptors"

If yes, I am going to add it to the gentoo ruleset.

Regards
Matthias

That works too.