Re: group is not set properly for usb printer for older kernels

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Kay Sievers wrote:

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 05:30, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The real fix though, is to run a kernel that matches the time the
system-level tools are developed and used with in the major distros.
Only these combinations are well tested and debugged. Mixing older
kernel versions with newer system-level tools usually works fine, but
there are many things that can go wrong, because nobody really tests
the combinations in this direction. People usually only make sure,
that newer kernels run on older systems, not the other way around.

Kay

Hm. I think a little different. I know developement goes fast but at least all officially supported kernels and especially the ones with long life support should also be supported by all userland tools.

IMHO minimum required kernel version should stay 2.6.27.xx until there will be a new long life kernel declared.

Please take care about rolling release distributions and people that want to take advantage of LTS kernels.

If you can't stay compatible in main developement tree separated frozen bugfix branches would be nice. But probably you will think this is a distributione task (that we small distributors cannot provide).

-Andy