Re: Migrating from static /dev to udev

On 9/28/09, Brendan Moran <bremoran@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Alan,
> I'm using virtually the same startup script as is used in Ubuntu
> (attached).  It only uses $udevadm trigger, with no arguments.

Well, I'm sure you can narrow it down.  You can always single-step the
init script on a running system to see what's happening.

> I didn't
> expect that permissions would be an issue, as this system is running in
> single user mode.
>
> Mounting /dev as a tmpfs makes perfect sense to me, however I'll have to
> do some hacking before I can modify that.

?
        if [ -z $DEVMOUNT ]; then
            # initramfs didn't mount /dev, so we'll need to do that
            mount -n -t tmpfs -o mode=0755 udev /dev
        fi

This will definitely cause some problems if you hadn't noticed it and
left /lib/udev/devices empty.  Udev relies on /dev/null being present
at startup.

I think this is your main problem!  Perhaps it is somehow responsible
for the later 'unknown: "uevent"' problem.

>  I have a list of all the
> devices to be created and placed in /dev already.  Currently, it's
> expanded at compile time, but I should be able to change the target from
> /dev to /lib/udev/devices.
>
> One additional thing that I need to do while migrating away from a
> static /dev is to convert our current naming scheme for devices to one
> which is consistent with the naming that udev uses by default.
>
> Thanks again,
> Brendan

Good luck