Re: [security] Race condition in udev

Hi,

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:24, Florian Zumbiehl<florz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > reading some of the source of udev, I noticed what I would suspect to be a
> > race condition with security implications, namely that device nodes
> > are first mknod()/chmod()ed with the permission mask that they're supposed
> > to have at the end, but potentially at this point applying to the
> > wrong owner and group, before then being chown()ed to the correct
> > owner and group.
>
> The device node is owned by root, what's the problem here?

at least after the (first) chown() it potentially isn't owned by root, so
your statement in that form is false. So: Which point in the process do
you refer to (and why do you think that it being owned by root at that
point prevents permissions from potentially being more permissive than
specified in the configuration)?

Florian