Re: ID_PATH generated by path_id.c doesn't differentiate ide devices

Martin von Gagern wrote:
> As of udev 143, the former path_id shell script has been replaced by
> a version written in C. The new version doesn't have any special
> handling for ide devices,

But the by-path links work for me (also using -143 for the moment) using
the libata driver in the kernel for my IDE chipset.  I *think* this was
mentioned as the reason in the release announcement, or maybe just in
the git commit message?  I saw it somewhere.

Is there a reason your kernel doesn't have libata turned on?  (Chipset
doesn't work yet perhaps?)

In general, the udev maintainers seem to be riding the bleeding edge of
everything else pretty closely; I'm surprised that a version of path_id
that worked with non-libata had stayed around as long as it did...

> Is the omission of the ide port going stay, or will ide handling be
> reimplemented eventually?

I *think* there were comments somewhere to the effect of "let's see how
many people actually need this".  Or maybe it was "if you need this,
you'll have to add it yourself"?  Can't remember for sure.