ID_PATH generated by path_id.c doesn't differentiate ide devices

Hi!

As of udev 143, the former path_id shell script has been replaced by a
version written in C. The new version doesn't have any special handling
for ide devices, as the old one does. As a consequence, a device
formerly known as "ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:1f.1-ide-0:1" now is only called
"ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:1f.1", causing persistent naming rules to become
obsolete. Furthermore, multiple devices attached to the same controller
can't be distinguished by their ID_PATH at all.

Was this change intentional? Was there some discussion about it, and if
so, can you point me at an archived version of it? I found none.

Is the omission of the ide port going stay, or will ide handling be
reimplemented eventually?

Is there some "official" suggestion as to what parameter to use for
persistent device naming rules, instead of the ID_PATH? Would you
suggest KERNEL as the closest replacement to ID_PATH, or rather ID_MODEL
or similar, in order to name devices rather than the ports they connect to?

I first reported this issue for Gentoo as http://bugs.gentoo.org/281558
I'm not sure how much of the Gentoo persistent device naming scheme
comes from the udev sources, but at least the path_id change I could
identify in the current udev git sources as well.

The commit introducing the switch to the C implementation:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commit;h=185ea6a76d3f

Greetings,
 Martin von Gagern