Re: modem mode switching

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 19:57 +0300, Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:

> >> Dan should know.
> >>

> > Various reasons, none of which I care about any more, since the tool
> > works and as long as there's *something* that does the job, that's
> > great.
> >
> > We could move the mobile action code into a separate binary since it
> > doesn't look like it would be that easy to fit into usb_modeswitch's
> > current architecture.
> >

> So what I understand from here is that the tools are not mutually
> exclusive in terms of functionality. Is there a thing like "mode
> switching on X can only be done with usb_modeswitch/modem-modeswitch" ?
>
> I'm trying to understand if I have to package and ship usb_modeswitch
> tool along with the in-udev modem-modeswitch for making various devices
> detected out-of-the-box.

Now I remember why I disliked usb_modeswitch: it's architecture doesn't
allow out-of-the-box operation.  You apparently have to uncomment your
device in the config file, or tell it exactly what you want it to do,
which pretty much duplicates what's in the config file.

What usb_modeswitch *should* be doing here is to just run, find all
devices that match something in the config file, and modeswitch them
automatically.

Ideally, we just fix usb_modeswitch to not be so unhelpful for
packagers/distributions, because it's an active project.

Dan