Re: modem mode switching

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 17:59 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 17:40, Ozan Çağlayan<ozan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder why there are two different userspace utilities for mode
>>> switching on HSDPA modems. modem-modeswitch is shipped with udev,
>>> usb_modeswitch is another project which is maintained as well.
>>>
>>> Do they diverge in some point? If not, are there any plan to merge them
>>> together? I'm not sure but relevant kernel drivers for those modems
>>> seems to also have some sort of mode switching. When I plug my Huawei
>>> device which isn't listed in neither udev rules for the userspace, it
>>> first gets probed as an unknown 0xffffffff device and then it gets
>>> reconnected and probbed as a serial modem. If kernel-space is able to
>>> handle those kind of quirks, why the user space mode switching tools exist?
>>>
>> Dan should know.
>>

> Various reasons, none of which I care about any more, since the tool
> works and as long as there's *something* that does the job, that's
> great.
>
> We could move the mobile action code into a separate binary since it
> doesn't look like it would be that easy to fit into usb_modeswitch's
> current architecture.

So what I understand from here is that the tools are not mutually
exclusive in terms of functionality. Is there a thing like "mode
switching on X can only be done with usb_modeswitch/modem-modeswitch" ?

I'm trying to understand if I have to package and ship usb_modeswitch
tool along with the in-udev modem-modeswitch for making various devices
detected out-of-the-box.

Thanks,