Re: Detect Hotplug events with hal, libudev, udev, devicekit-*

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 15:32, Mohamed Ikbel
Boulabiar<boulabiar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I need to detect hardware hotplug, but I still don't know what's the
>>> best way to do it.
>>> I have chosen D-Bus to detect event,

> I have just installed DeviceKit, and it has some few DBus "things"
> (compared to HAL), to detect hotplug, I can connect to DeviceEvent
> Signal.
> But it still lacks DBus methods and signals for each device.

The plain DeviceKit daemon was a temporary thing until libudev/gudev
was ready to do event multiplexing. It didn't do anything substantial
but pass an udev event to multiple listeners - the same what
libudev/gudev does now. The DeviceKit daemon will not be in the final
setups. Only udev will provide the device events.

>> Yes HAL will go away, and if HAL is gone, there are no generic device
>> events accessible through D-Bus anymore.
>
> Looks strange, I heard that some thing (one component that I forget
> what is was exactly) would be only accessible from DBus.

No, there is nothing like that for plain device events, and probably never will.

> But, isn't removing access to event from D-Bus, a bad idea ? It become
> very used in Gnome/KDE applications, and it provide a common way to
> access applications internal methods and device events.
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-May/011560.html

There are still all the subsystem specific high-level interfaces for
desktop stuff. See DeviceKit-disks, DevicKit-power, NetworkManager,
PulseAudio, ... - all use libudev/gudev now instead if HAL.

The current state of the projects is tracked here:
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy

Kay