Re: Detect Hotplug events with hal, libudev, udev, devicekit-*

>> I need to detect hardware hotplug, but I still don't know what's the
>> best way to do it.
>> I have chosen D-Bus to detect event,
>
> You can not get any events from D-Bus itself. D-Bus is just a
> "communication protocol".

Maybe I expressed it wrongly, but I mean that I connect to DBus, and
not to the kernel netlink socket.
:)

>> but I don't know if I should
>> connect to Hal or something else.
>
> There are no other generic event sources, accessible through D-Bus, than HAL.

I have just installed DeviceKit, and it has some few DBus "things"
(compared to HAL), to detect hotplug, I can connect to DeviceEvent
Signal.
But it still lacks DBus methods and signals for each device.

>> I heard that it is deprecated, but I still haven't find something
>> useful to connect to through DBus.
>
> Yes HAL will go away, and if HAL is gone, there are no generic device
> events accessible through D-Bus anymore.

Looks strange, I heard that some thing (one component that I forget
what is was exactly) would be only accessible from DBus.

But, isn't removing access to event from D-Bus, a bad idea ? It become
very used in Gnome/KDE applications, and it provide a common way to
access applications internal methods and device events.
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-May/011560.html

>> I need after to gather access to the device being plugged and other
>> devices in the system.
>
> Libudev provides you with these events:
>  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/libudev/
> GObject based tools may want to use: