Re: Debugging udevd startup time

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 18:25, Ozan Çağlayan <ozan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
>>> The log shows 1.8 seconds, bootchart might not show too much here.
>>
>> I've just tried on a tiny sony vaio centrino laptop which loads 71
>> modules during boot. Its log shows 1.4 seconds between the first and the
>> last event.
>
> 3.2 seconds on a recent Dual Core MacbookPro5,1 which loads 52 modules
> during boot. It seems that the gap can oscillate very brutally from one
> system to another one.

In many cases it's the loading of modules which is pretty expensive.
Sometimes rules are doing weird things. Sometimes just a single device
blocks the wait-for-all settle call.

On the box with the 3 seconds, what devices are left when you limit the timeout?
  udevadm trigger; udevadm settle --timeout=2

How long does udev take on the running box?

Make sure, you kill HAL, it might prevent udev from doing work faster,
if it does not read the messages fast enough:
 $ killall hald

What does:
 $ time (udevadm trigger -Snet; udevadm settle)
print? That should show the time while no more modules need to be loaded.

How big are the rules you use?
  wc -l /etc/udev/rules.d/* /lib/udev/rules.d/* /dev/.udev/rules.d/*

What does:
  udevadm test foo
print?

Kay