Re: hal, udev and video4linux probers

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 20:50, Filippo Argiolas <fargiolas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Here is small hack using libudev, that enumerates all capture-capable
>> video devices, and listens for new devices connected, or devices going
>> away.
>
> Thank you :)
> It will surely be quite useful when implementing detection, either
> directly in cheese or in gstreamer.

Great. Let me know, if you guys have decided anything.

> Isn't there a match_property function for udev_monitor too?

Not now. We could add it but, the filtering would need to happen in
libudev in the client process. Unlike the subsystem matches, where we
compose a Berkeley Packet Filter (BPF) sequence, and push it inside
the kernel to the client socket, and the kernel will do the message
filtering to prevent the listening process to be woken up for messages
not subscribed to.

All more advanced filters, like the free-text properties, we need to
do in the client, because the BPF are very limited. But I can add
that, if its useful. It probably matches nicely to the enumerator
interface, so I guess we should have it.

> Anyway, I just noticed that 70-v4l_id.rules is not being installed at
> the moment. Attaching a simple patch.

Applied. Thanks.

Kay