hal, udev and video4linux probers

Hi all,
I'm writing here with the Cheese[1] maintainer hat on.
Yesterday I was about to start to port it from HAL to DeviceKit but
talking with David Zeuthen I found out that devkit is going away in
favor of plain libudev + specific abstractions for disks, media,
power, etc [2].
At the moment we use HAL to detect available v4l devices, get the api
version they support and exclude the ones with no capture capability.
All this stuff as far as I can tell is provided by hald video4linux prober [3].
It seems that, with HAL going away sooner or later, we need a new
place for this probing. Probably a dedicated Devicekit-video thing
would be overengineered for a simple task like this, so udev-extras
should be the new place for it.
Is there anyone working or willing to work on it? I could probably
provide a patch myself but I don't really know anything about udev
internals and it will take me more than the time really needed for
such a simple task (btw, if you want to point me where to look in the
source tree I could take a look at it).

Being honest I'm not so sure I will use libudev, I'm currently looking
for a way to do the device probing directly from gstreamer, but it
would be nice to preserve that v4l probing stuff somewhere with HAL
going away (furthermore, I doubt we're the only users of that prober).

Best Regards,
Filippo

1. http://projects.gnome.org/cheese/
2. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-devel/2009-April/000140.html