Re: cdrom_id from udev-135 hangs

bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Disable CONFIG_IDE.  Or disable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE.  Or maybe disable
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD (but I don't know if the PIIX libata driver will
> pick up just the CD drive).  Or disable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX.  This is in
> approximate order of most-general to most-specific options; turning off
> the last option will disable the least amount of code.
>
> (I have CONFIG_IDE disabled entirely, but whether you can do that will
> depend on your current IDE chipset(s) and their level of libata support..)
>
> There may be ways to do this with kernel options as well, but I don't
> know of any offhand.  Check Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt for the
> full list of flags; something appropriate may be in there.  (At least
> that would let you avoid recompiling.)

I was afraid it might take something like that - recompile without IDE or
IDECD. I'll have to think about if I'm brave enough to try that. Also
considering the libata PATA drivers are considered "experimental".

I did look at kernel-parameters.txt before posting to see if there was
something for libata like the old 2.4 option for having ide-scsi handle the
CD instead of the regular IDE driver.  I didn't find anything there. I did
find this in ide.txt: "ide_core.noprobe=1.0". It causes the IDE driver to
ignore my CD drive (master device, secondary channel). But libata doesn't
pick it up automatically. If there is a way to get it to do so, I haven't
found it.